98 Cirrus V6 Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Cirrus' started by Steve20016, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Steve20016

Steve20016 Guest

Okay, I've been reading this board all morning, you guys have a lot of info here. Here is my problem, when I fill my gas tank the pump prematurely shuts off. In order to fill the tank, I have to hold the lever about halfway, which takes much longer. I've tried inserting it sideways, halfway, upside-down, etc. This happens at every gas station, whether I am in DC, MD, NY, CT, NJ, etc. In fact in NJ, where self-serve does not exist, I have to pump my own gas b/c the attendants get frustrated. Now, I've been living with this for 5 years, is it supposed to be that way? My dealer just shrugs his shoulders.

Steve20016, Dec 1, 2003
  2. I've never owned a Cirrus, but I can't imagine this being correct.
    Sounds like there is a vent that is blocked. Might be worth trying a
    different dealer.

Matt

Matthew S. Whiting, Dec 1, 2003
  3. Steve20016

Jon Guest

Steve,

If you are trying to fill it with the engine running, try shutting it off.
    Some fuel systems are pressurized. Filling with the engine running causes
    the pressure to escape out the filler tube, effectively shutting off the the
    gas pump.

Jon

Jon, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Steve20016

LG1247 Guest

I have a 99 Cirrus and it fills perfectly normal, only clicking off at full. I
    would try a different dealer since this could be an emissions related problem
    in which it's warranted for 80k miles.

Lou G

LG1247, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Steve20016

mic canic Guest

sound like the check ball in the tanks filler tube is failing or stuck

mic canic, Dec 6, 2003
Ask a Question