1997 Neon code 44

Discussion in 'Neon' started by Slaughterhouse, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Hi, I have a 1997 Neon with two codes that showed up on diagnosis (engine
    light codes). I disconnected the battery to clean the posts, so I can
    understand the 12 code I got (Direst battery input to PCM was disconnected
    within the last 50 key-on cycles). However it's the second code that I don't
    understand (battery temp sensor volts out of range). Is it an actual sensor
    and does this code mean it has failed? If so, what is an approximate cost of
    these sensors and is it even nescessary to replace (I live in Edmonton,
    Alberta Canada where the temperature has actually warmed up a lot to -23
    cescius). I really appreciate your taking the time with my post, thanks!

Slaughterhouse, Feb 1, 2004
  2. Slaughterhouse

steve piskor Guest

The battery temperature sensor is located at the front of the battery tray next
    to the battery hold down clamp. Its about the size of a pea and is retained by a
    pressed steel hex nut. Its connector is under the battery tray. The following
    info is from the Chrysler neon manual :... "The sensor is used to determine the
    battery temperature.This data ,together with the monitored line voltage, is used
    by the PCM ( powertrain control module) to vary the battery charging rate.System
    voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer
    temperatures.The battery sensor is also used for OBD11 diagnostics. Certain
    faults and OBD11 monitors are either enabled or disabled depending upon battery
    temperature sensor input ( example: disable purge and EGR, enable LDP). Most
    OBD11 monitors are disabled below 20 degrees F". .....From the fuel system
    section of the manual...."The PCM uses the temperature of the battery area to
    control the charge rate.The signal is used to regulate the system voltage. The
    system voltage is higher at cold temperatures and is gradually reduced as
    temperature around the battery increases."...............To test the sensor
    you`ll have to remove it and take it indoors unless you have a heated garage:
    Disconnect the two-wire pigtail harness from the sensor.Attatch ohmmeter leads
    to the wire terminals of the pigtail harness. At room temperature of 25 degrees
    C an ohmmeter reading of 9000 to 11000 ohms should be observed.If out of spec
    replace. I`ve no idea of the cost but it looks cheap enough.Good luck.

steve piskor, Feb 2, 2004
  3. Wow! Thank you very much! That was more information than I could hope for,
    thanks!

Slaughterhouse, Feb 2, 2004
Ask a Question